Dogs: the 4-1-1
Ok, here’s the deal. You love your pooch. While your dog is part of your family, what you may not know is this: the formal name is canis lupus familiaris. Your dog is a subspecies of the wolf!
Here’s some other facts you may not know about dogs:
- Over time and dog evolution, it has developed into hundreds of breeds with variation within each breed.
- Dogs were domesticated from wolves a mere 15,000 years ago! (Some experts may argue this was actually 100,000 years ago but who’s counting?) The bottom line? Thousands of years ago dogs were in the wild and were not considered household pets.
- Theories state that dogs were first domesticated in Asia and apparently people who entered North America brought their dogs with them from Asia.
- As people moved around to different countries, a variety of breeds migrated with them. For instance, selective breeding occurs to create specialized working dogs and pets in general.
- Today’s dogs are playful! They’re trainable, they mesh with human households and social situations.
- Known as “man’s best friend”, dogs are known to be loyal and devoted. Although they evolved from the wolf, the very concept of love, friendship, and companionship, are human emotions, once which lead dog owners to view their pets as family members.
At The Dog Bowl, nothing is more important than your pets’ health and well being. For more information about dog facts contact your local veterinarian, shelter or rescue organization.