Sure, you may have heard stories in the news about glue or household cleaners and how it’s toxic to teens who may want to sniff, but you may not know that regular household items may be toxic to our best friends as well. That’s right, our dogs and cats. Regular household items may not inflict damage towards us but in some instances, household toxins may cause illness or death to our pets.
- Over the counter and prescription medicines – keep them out of reach. Small doses can be lethal to your Fido or feline so be sure to keep them secure in a medicine cabinet.
- Household cleaners – these may be toxic to your dog or cat. Store household cleaners in closed cabinets. Household cleaners are toxic to your pet since they contain pine or citrus oils. Plus, plant food, fertilizers and garden products are lethal.
- Antifreeze is bad! Talk about toxic to your pet, antifreeze contains ethylene glycol. This may fool your cat or dog since it apparently has a very sweet taste. Your pet may be lured by the sweetness, even if only a few drops. Get this – one small dose can even kill your dog. As for a solution besides keeping this toxin out of reach? Look for products which contain propylene glycol instead.
- Bleach and detergent – keep them away!
- Potpourri oils – again, these may be toxic to your pet.
- Additional items include aluminum foil, batteries, pennies, moth balls, and even cellophane candy wrappers (they can cause blockage and vomiting.)
While we think of household toxins such as bleach or cleaners, we may not realize that regular food and beverages which we consume may also be toxic to your dog or cat. Examples include raisins and grapes which can cause vomiting to kidney failure. Coffee grinds, alcohol, onions, onion powder, macademia nuts, apple seeds, cherry pits, walnuts, mushrooms – the list goes on.
At The Dog Bowl, nothing is more important than your pets’ health and well being. For more information about household toxins and what is toxic to your dog - click here!